Photobucket

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Reflecting on tournament play

So I posted a pretty quick post last night after finding my way to the rail during the Omaha Limit Hi/Lo game I was involved in and I wanted to reflect a little more today on my game.

As I stated last night, there were a few maniacs at my table that I think held me back from playing hands I normally would. I was playing the players last night more than I was playing the cards and I think in Omaha, you have to play the cards more the sense of hitting flushes and straights. Also, since it was Hi/Lo, I knew I wanted to get my money in good when I could possibly scoop with the high and the low so I wanted to get in against players that would play higher cards and I would go in with lower cards, maybe a wheel draw or something. I think this hurt me.

One hand I folded that is sticking with me was last, when I was down to about 700 in chips and needs to make a move. I had a call and a raise behind me with a very loose player to my left so I was expecting a reraise from him, which happened and the pot was actually capped before the flop (4 bets made). However, I should have been in this hand from the start. I had Ad Jd 10h ?. I know the 4th card was a black 7,8, or 9. I folded.

The flop came J J 2 and the turn was an Ace. This would have been a big hand for me even if I split the pot and I would have been resurrected. However, I didn't play and shortly after I was out.

The only other hand I think I should have played different was when I flopped quad Kings. Yup, quads. There was 360 in the pot and 3 players after the flop. UTG checked, I checked and cutoff bet 120, the max. UTG folded and I called. And there is the problem, I just called. I think if I would have raised here, the cutoff would have maybe folded, fearing a set on my end and I would have taken down the whole pot. What my call did was tell him that I have maybe 2 pair and he was ahead of me. The turn was a 5d to make the board K 2 K 5. I checked again and the cutoff bet. This time I did reraise and he just called me. The river was a 7. check, bet, call was the sequence and I show my quads but he shows that he is eligible for the low and we split the pot. Very sick. Instead of moving up to over 3K in chips, I was stuck at 1600, where I started the hand pretty much.

So there is a little more analysis of the game. Overall, I'm about 50/50 satisfied with my play.

After I said goodbye to the Omaha game, I fired up a quick 6max $6 + $0.50 SnG that would pay out $23.50 to the winner. I was very satisfied with my play here. I got my money in good, folded when I felt like my hand was second best and was able to win the game, took about an hour. 3-handed was very back and forth and it took awhile to get down to heads up, but I was able to eliminate the 3rd place player with pocket 9's up against A x with a dead board. Heads up saw 2 lead changes as my 7's lost to 9's to swap the chip lead and then my J's held up to Q 10 to give me the lead back and I closed out the game about 3 hands later.

Up next is possibly the KFAN SnG on Full Tilt tonight at 8PM. If I don't play that, I will maybe play some cash game and then I will be in a $10 + $1 NL Hold Em tournament on Sunday starting at 2:00PM. This game is $5,000 guaranteed prize pool.

See you then.

No comments:

RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback