Photobucket

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Welcome to Poker 101

Welcome. This is a little blog I'm going to try and keep track of and keep updated on a regular basis. This is not a blog of funny jokes, this blog is going to be about nothing but Poker. Online poker, live poker, tournaments, cash game, hold 'em, omaha, and other subjects. I will talk about some hands I have seen or played and share some thoughts.

Let's get started, shall we?

I should be in bed right now and I should have been in bed about an hour ago. I got home late from bartending tonight and I had to do some things with my finances before I went to bed that were bothering me. However, since I took a shower first, I was still wide awake when I got my tasks done. So I climbed in bed and signed on to my Full Tilt account. This is where I play online.

Over the past 2 years, I have deposited $50 to my Full Tilt account 5 times. My last deposit was in December 2007 and I have not made a deposit since. So my bankroll is at $69. That was until I played poker instead of going to bed. Don't be angry.

So I was torn on what to play. I didn't want to play long, just see some hands and get my body sleepy. My plan is to only play stakes where I have AT LEAST enough money to see 50 hands (when playing cash games) and play 50 tournaments (when I play SnG's). So with $69 in my bankroll, I figure I can play $0.50/$1 cash games. However, I am hesitant so I go to a $0.25/$0.50 game. And it's heads up.

Side note - I love heads up play. You have to be certain you have got the hand to beat. You have more outs which means you see and can play a lot more hands, but I think the skill level to play a heads up match is the same as playing a 9 man table. End side note.

I have a guy join my table and we both have bought in for $50. The cards start falling. I am trying to feel this guy out and I get a good read on him within the first 5 hands. Every time he is small blind, he raises 3 times the big blind. Every time he is big blind, he folds if I raise unless he have an over card. Also, if he doesn't hit the flop, he gets out of any bet, even if he is getting 4 to 1 on a call.

So I start taking some pots but I never see his cards, I just have an idea of how he is playing. After a few hands, I'm already up $7. Then I lose $12 on 2 hands where I was beat after the flop but the money was right to see the turn both times to see if I could hit my straight. Each time I folded when the money was no longer right.

Then, I am in the big blind and I have 6 7 off. Of course, this guy raises to $1.50 in the small blind (what he has been doing all night). I am now tired of him pushing me around in this situation and I have connected cards and loosen up. I call.

Flop comes down Q 8 9 rainbow. I have an open ended straight draw, with a possible straight on the board if this guy has J 10. I am first to act and check. He bets about $2 and I call. Turn comes down 5. I have hit my 9-high straight. I bet half the pot, $4. He raises to $16. I think about for a bit, wondering if he has J 10. I think if he does though, he would have bet more after the flop. I'm thinking he would have bet double the pot if he had the straight. So I figure he has a Q and my straight it good. I push all-in for $47. This is 80% of my bankroll but I know I have this hand and if he sucks out, he sucks out. I'm prepared to lose my money.

He doesn't even hesitate and calls. He turned up Q K off. There is not flush draw, he just has Queens with 2nd best kicker. River is a 4 and I take the pot down. I'm surprised by his call, but I think he underestimated me. I think what helped me is that a few hands earlier, I have K J suited and I called all of his bets with K high, while he had a pair the whole time. This probably made him think I was bluffing and trying to imply the straight. None the less, i won the hand and that made my night.

So, I hope you enjoyed this story. There will be more to come as I will begin discussing the poker league that is held at my house as it comes to a close. We will have the first ever winner crowned soon. I hope it's me. If not, I'll be ok.

Cheers!

No comments:

RakeTheRake, the rakeback professionals, offering up to 60% rakeback